App helping providers streamline care documentation
Care staff in residential aged care play a critical role in the experience of older Australians and their families.
However, the 2020 Aged Care Workforce Census found that 28% of Personal Care Workers (PCWs) employed in November 2019 had left their role by November 2020.
With Australia-wide workforce shortages and incoming mandatory Care Minute minimums, the sector should turn to technology to support a more efficient way of delivering and documenting care.
Document care by the resident’s side in real-time
That’s why Telstra Health developed CareKeeper, an award-winning app designed to help residential aged care staff more efficiently view and record care via a mobile device by the resident’s side.
CareKeeper was designed with illustrative icons to help staff quickly identify care tasks, such as a knife and fork icon to indicate a Food Intake observation. The app enables staff to tick the most urgent tasks off as soon as they have been completed, helping to minimise the time spent documenting at the Nurses’ station at the end of each shift. As CareKeeper is integrated with Telstra Health’s clinical and care management software, Clinical Manager, information captured via the app flows through to the software in real-time to help create one source of truth.
Michael Donnelly, Head of Aged & Disability at Telstra Health said, “CareKeeper allows staff to document at the point of care so they can spend less time at the Nurses’ station and more time doing what they love: creating a positive environment for residents.”
“With half of Australia’s PCWs aged 40 or under, we’re conscious that innovative solutions are now the expectation. We’ve therefore co-designed CareKeeper with clients to ensure the app is efficient and easy to navigate,” said Donnelly.
Key features of CareKeeper include:
- Easily and efficiently view, action and record care delivered via a mobile device.
- Easily identify what care needs to be actioned through the use of iconography.
- Streamline care activity workflows with the most urgent tasks brought to the surface.
- Access a resident’s profile, summary care plan and progress notes at the point of care.
- Real-time capture of information in the form of charts and progress notes.
- Integrated with Telstra Health’s Clinical Manager software for one source of truth and reduced duplicate data entry.
- Offline capability to enable the app to be used even in Wi-Fi blackspots.
- Cloud hosted via Microsoft’s Azure cloud platform.
How CareKeeper can benefit your organisation
Telstra Health’s CareKeeper app can help create a positive experience for care staff, management, and residents.
How CareKeeper helps care staff
- Document at the resident’s side to increase one-on-one quality time.
- Clear visibility of tasks and when they need to be completed.
- Allows for tasks to be completed and ticked off on the go.
- Reduces the time needed for documentation at the end of each shift.
- Easy to use and navigate on a familiar mobile device application.
- The use of icons throughout the app helps to make documentation quick and easy.
- Staff can easily view what task they were up to if they were called away.
- Helps to reduce the time spent on handover as staff on the following shift can easily view what tasks have been completed.
How CareKeeper helps management
- Can provide clear oversight of the resident care that is being delivered.
- Fully configurable task schedules to fit your business processes.
- Consistent model of care can be delivered across multiple facilities.
- Paperless care task assignment.
- Easily demonstrate the care that has been delivered to residents’ loved ones.
- Simple to implement with minimal staff training required, even for new or contract staff members.
How CareKeeper helps residents
- Promotes more one-on-one time with care staff.
- Care staff can easily show the resident and their loved ones what care they can expect that day.
- Promotes greater presence of staff on the floor rather than at a Nurses’ station.
- Helps care staff complete documentation quicker so they can assist the resident sooner.
“The CareKeeper app is user-friendly and the team picked it up from the get go. We love that staff are prompted to complete tasks so there are no gaps.” – Amanda Birkin, Chief Executive Officer, St Anna’s Residential Aged Care Facility
Learn more about CareKeeper or get in touch with the Telstra Health team.