Royal commission delivers aged care report with shocking cases of abuse and neglect
According to the report of TODAY:
A sad and shocking system which diminishes Australia as a nation. That’s the state of the country’s aged care facilities according to a damning draft report issued by the Royal Commission.
More than 4,000 disturbing cases of sexual and physical assault has been noted and the latest update from the commission:
“What we have been is shocked at the extend of what we found. It put the government on notice, it put the industry on notice. It’s put the entire community on notice” Richard Colbeck, Aged Care Minister
Abuse and Neglect – Royal Comission’s Interim Report
In a report titled Neglect released on Thursday, the royal commission also said urgent work was needed to stop the flow of younger people with a disability going into the aged care system, describing it as a human rights issue. The report, titled Neglect and delivered on Thursday in three volumes, said a fundamental overhaul is needed of the aged care system and the way it is designed, funded and regulated.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced the royal commission in September last year in the wake of multiple nursing home scandals. Since it began getting evidence, it has heard shocking stories of abuse and neglect.
For example the case of Muriel Barnes, who died last 2018 after developing pressure sores infected with fecal matter at her nursing home. The commission has also heard stories of physical and sexual assaults, “manhandling”, name-calling, “dreadful” food, lack of staff and lack of assistance for toileting.
Federal Minister for Aged Care, Richard Colbeck told reporters in Canberra on Thursday afternoon that the government was shocked about the extent of what had been found by the royal commission.
The commissioner is demanding urgent action including less use of chemical restraints and more home care packages. The final report will be delivered late next year.